With the adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the approval of the list of global indicators by the UN Statistical Commission, the challenge of nationalizing Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and operationalizing the SDG indicators at national level Governments are expected to take ownership and establish national frameworks for the achievement of the 17 Goals.
The Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Armenia (MoA) is expected to take the lead in identifying national priorities for Goal 2 of the 2030 Agenda and also have to play a part in determining national targets under SDGs 1, 2, 13 and 15.
TCP/ARM/3604/C3 aims at enhancing awareness and capacities of MoA and other relevant national stakeholders – in line with the principles of the Agenda 2030 to leave no one behind and to broad partnerships for more focused, participated and coordinated action on SDGs implementation and monitoring in order to enable the Ministry to meet the challenges deriving from nationalization of the 2030 Agenda and effectively contribute to the implementation and monitoring of SDGs at country level.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia, Lead Technical Officer (LTO) of TCP/ARM/3604/C3 and in close collaboration with the Assistant FAO Representative in Armenia, the National Specialist on SDGs is responsible for providing support to the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) regarding the implementation and monitoring of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) pertaining the Ministry’s responsibility. He/ she reports to the LTO.
- Provide support to MoA, in liaison with other relevant stakeholders, regarding the implementation and monitoring of SDGs;
- Prepare the action plan and conduct the related consultation workshop;
- Contribute to the awareness raising on SDGs implementation and monitoring;
- Support MoA, in liaison with other relevant stakeholders, including the Innovation Lab under the Centre for Strategic Initiatives, regarding the implementation and monitoring of SDGs related to food and agriculture sector;
- Liaise in collaboration with assigned Ministry staff with the Prime Minister's office and the UNCT in order to coordinate the inputs from the agriculture and related sectors to the process;
- Conduct consultations with civil society and private sector about their potential support in SDGs implementation;
- Support the drafting of the Voluntary National Report for the High Level Political Forum 2018, for the sessions related to the agricultural sector;
- Elaborate a two-year Action Plan for the implementation and monitoring of SDGs in food and agriculture sector in Armenia;
- Prepare the Action Plan to support the positioning of the Ministry in the national process of SDGs implementation and facilitate the accurate and timely monitoring and reporting in the food and agriculture sector. The Action Plan will include inter-alia:
a) setting national targets and identifying means of verification for national indicators related to overall reporting on SDGs;
b) a baseline report to assess where the Ministry stands with the SDGs implementation against the targets and establish a baseline to measure progress;
c) specific areas identified to pursue in the short or medium term as an entry point to SDG implementation in food and agriculture sector (stocktaking and prioritization);
d) mapping of linkages between SDGs and national strategy and sectoral policy documents, statistical reports and all relevant data and information pertaining the responsibility of the Ministry of Agriculture in order to assess the extent to which SDGs are already reflected in national strategies, identify gaps and make recommendations how to amend strategies to insure the implementation of SDGs (integration);
e) critical actions to be taken by the Ministry in a two-year period for the mainstreaming of SDGs, with timeframe, approximate costing, resource mobilization, linkage to other ministries, etc.;
support in drafting of the Voluntary National Report for the High Level Political Forum 2018;
recommendations about the path to take until 2030;
- Organize a national workshop to discuss and finalize the Action Plan with the active participation of UNCT, PM Office, other national counterparts, civil society and private sector.
- In cooperation with the Innovation Lab under the Centre for Strategic Initiatives, contribute to the awareness raising on SDGs implementation and monitoring;
- Support the Organization and technically contribute to the national awareness raising workshop on the process of SDGs implementation and stakeholder's sensitization about SDGs;
- Provide comments and recommendations to the capacity development plan for national stakeholders to enable the definition of national targets, its means of implementation and national indicators;
- Promote advocacy and communication at national level on SDGs related to agriculture and environment sector.
- Advanced university degree (MSc or above) in Agriculture and Rural Development, Economics and Agribusiness;
- At least 5 years of experience in policy development, monitoring, agriculture and rural development;
- Working knowledge of English language; limited knowledge of Russian language.
- Extent to which above minimum requirements are met;
- Ability to plan and organize work and participate in a multi-disciplinary team.
Additional Selection Criteria:
- Relevant experience in project management and implementation capacity development and agriculture policy analysis;
- Proven knowledge on SDG development framework and 2030 agenda;
- Strong understanding of Armenian agriculture's policy priorities and national plan and its link with the global development agenda;
- Fluency in English and Armenian languages;
- Ability to deliver quality products timely.