The Education/ Child Protection Technical Advisor will be responsible for playing a leading role in ensuring that all Save the Children interventions related to education and child protection programming are of a high technical quality and fully in line with Save the Children’s Emergency Response Plan. The Technical Advisor will work with teams across the organisation to provide leadership in building internal and external capacity on education and child protection. The Technical Advisor will ensure that interventions are in line with international and Save the Children’s quality standards and procedures, international guidelines and best practice for education and contextualise globally proven approaches to the context of Armenia. The Technical Advisor will lead on ensuring effective documentation of interventions, documentation of training materials, knowledge management, and will support processes to capture lessons learned and support broader Save the Children strategy development and learning processes. The Technical Advisor will establish close working relationships with regional and members’ technical staff to ensure high quality programs, integration and coherence of programs. The Technical Advisor will contribute to project and proposal development to ensure high quality project design and foster innovative solutions. The Technical Advisor will also play a critical role in networking and relationship building with key internal and external stakeholders, in mobilising external technical assistance and in supporting capacity building of partners and other stakeholders.
In collaboration with the Program Development and Quality Manager, provide technical leadership on programming and practice:
Strategic Planning and Reporting
- Provide strategic leadership to Save the Children’s emergency response in Armenia;
- Develop and update technical strategies for education and child protection, in line with strategic priorities, and SCI global objectives and approaches.
- Lead on technical proposal development for concepts and proposals related to education and child protection programming, ensuring that proposals are evidence-based and participatory (including partners and children);
- Ensure that technical proposals are aligned with SCI’s Emergency Response Plan, Common Approaches and SCI global priorities;
- Ensure that technical proposals are integrated with other thematic areas, that gender, inclusion and resilience are mainstreamed at the very least;
- Support the Child Safeguarding Focal Points to ensure that education and child protection proposals are safe for children;
- Explore innovative solutions and approaches to deliver high quality programs.
Program Quality, Technical Expertise, Knowledge Management, Innovation
- Provide technical expertise, quality assurance and support for Save the Children’s education and child protection program in line with international best practice;
- Actively participate in SC working groups, communities of practice to facilitate knowledge exchange;
- Ensure that education programs are of high quality with reliable data and outcomes, in collaboration with the MEAL team;
- Work closely with the Eastern Europe Knowledge Manager to learn and apply best practices of the region in Education and Child Protection programming; contribute to the Knowledge Management Impact Centre operations by sharing relevant best practices, research, reports, etc.;
- Maintain high intelligence of the emergency response context in Education and Child Protection area and continuously explore information on needs, issues and constraints;
- Contribute to development of TORs for education/ child protection-related assessments and research;
- Strengthen program learning and documentation on education/ child protection, in collaboration with the MEAL team;
- Engage with education expertise available within the organization globally, including members, communities of practice and networks to be well aware of thematic updates, best practices, project models, etc.
Support to Program Implementation
- Support the Operations Manager to implement Save the Children’s partner-led response in the area of Education and Child Protection;
- Participate in operational plans development in the area of education and child protection;
- Support the Operations Manager and the partner organizations to deliver activities to the highest standards, assess capacity building needs and areas for improvement;
- Conduct monitoring visits in collaboration with the MEAL team to assess quality of implementation;
- Contribute to the development of communications products, in collaboration with the PDQ/ RO;
- Contribute to SCI country program planning and reporting on education/child protection thematic priorities.
- Build the capacity of program, partner staff, stakeholders in line with program priorities;
- Develop education and child-protection - specific training packages, conduct workshops, trainings and other learning events for project teams, partners and other stakeholders; ensure that partners understand and adhere to best practices and standards in education and child protection programming;
- Provide direct technical support and guidance to partners implementing education/ child protection activities with Save the Children;
- Participate in global learning and capacity building event and cascade learning to the team as appropriate.
Advocacy and Representation
- Lead on external representation in education/ child protection in Armenia and abroad, networking and relationship building with key stakeholders;
- Help establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with government authorities, donors, partners, and local and international NGOs related to education;
- Actively participate in UN- and other agencies-led working groups, represent SCI and contribute to coordination of efforts and approaches.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures;
- Perform other responsibilities as agreed with line management.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in education/ child protection programs or a related field;
- Strong technical understanding of the education sector and protection, in emergencies and development contexts;
- Ability to identify the gaps in Education and Child Protection in a given context to inform a holistic response for children;
- Experience in building relationships, fostering interagency coordination and experience of representing an organisation to external stakeholders;
- Experience in designing and facilitating training and capacity building;
- Previous experience working for Save the Children;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Armenian languages;
- Commitment to upholding Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy, as well as principles of do no harm and confidentiality;
- Understanding of and commitment to SCI aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches.