The Expert on Hazardous Waste Management will support Municipal and Hazardous waste management (MWM/HWM) policy making and planning process at the level of the 3 partner cities - Yerevan, Warsaw and Tirana - offering positive inputs also to other Local Authorities, and provide his/her specialized expertise and assistance to the introduction of improved technical, organizational, and ‘smart’ solutions for an effective HWM at municipal level. In particular, he / she will:
- assist the 3 Partner Cities, as well as other identified Local Authorities in improving their institutional, financial and administrative capacity in the field of Municipal Waste Management and, notably, of Hazardous Waste Management;
- provide expert advice on the quality of existing HWM / MWM plans in the 3 Partner Cities, and contribute to their promotion and implementation;
- give expert advice to re-organization / improvement of the internal structures responsible for HWM handling in the 3 Partner Cities;
- facilitate and promote innovation, R&D and smart solutions on HWM, inter alia by contributing to the organization of 4 HWM Techno-summits, contests and other public events;
- coordinate, and contribute to, the preparation of (pre-)feasibility studies, develop PPP solutions for HWM-related investments and outline technical contents for tenders and other project-related documents.
In performing his/her tasks the Specialist will respond to the Action’s Team Leader. He/she will operate in collaboration with other Team Members, as the activities require.
Qualifications and skills
- University degree in engineering, environmental science/management, chemistry, biology, other natural sciences or equivalent.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Proficient computer skills.
- Certification in environmental management, public services management or other relevant topics is an asset.
General professional experience
- At least 10 years of general professional experience.
- At least 8 years of experience in the environmental field or public services management.
Specific professional experience
- At least 5 years of experience in waste management.
- At least 2 years of experience in capacity building / training /coaching of public bodies, agencies or institutions responsible for waste management or other environmental fields.
- At least 2 years of experience in preparation of tender documentation and/ or pre-feasibility/feasibility studies and/or technical documentation for investments in the field of waste management.
- Experience in the preparation of policy documents / plans / masterplans on waste management is an asset.
- Expertise in hazardous waste / special waste management gained in at least 1 assignment (as employee or consultant) is an asset.
Note that only professional experience after obtaining the University degree will be considered.