The overall purpose of this project is to contract one qualified professional for the position of Expert in Local Governance and Policy Mainstreaming. The Expert will be part of the management team for the project ‘Capital Cities Collaborating on Common Challenges in Hazardous Waste Management – Yerevan, Warsaw, Tirana’ (hereinafter: the Project) and will contribute to its sound management and implementation, in accordance with the grant contract and its annexes, notably the Description of the Action.
The Expert in Local Governance and Policy Mainstreaming supports the reform of MWM/HWM policy making and planning systems at municipal level, in accordance with the principles and practices of ‘good’ local governance. Furthermore, he/she provides his/her specialist expertise to improve the institutional and administrative capacities of the three Partner Cities to design effective public policies and plans, adopting inclusive approaches. He/she will perform the following activities:
- Devise and carry out standardised structural and functional (ex-ante and ex-post) assessments of MWM/ HWM for the three Partner Cities in line with established benchmarks and identified good practices;
- Support the reorganization of municipal structures for MWM/HWM and the adoption of ‘good’ local governance practices in MWM/HWM policy making, by formulating recommendations, outlining restructuring plans and assisting the three Partner Cities in their implementation;
- Contribute to the review and improvement of WM Plans in cities, including by devising appropriate participatory mechanisms to inform and involve the relevant stakeholders and the community;
- Support the design and organization of events and activities to inform, consult and/or engage the community in MWM/HWM policy making;
- Contribute to the design and delivery of tailored capacity building actions (e.g. training, coaching and internships) in his/her area of expertise to the benefit of the three Partner Cities, as well as of other Local Authorities.
In performing his/her tasks the Expert will respond to the Action’s Team Leader. He/she will operate in collaboration with other Team Members as the activities require and, notably, with the Specialist on Local Governance and Outreach and with the relevant experts in Warsaw’s and Tirana’s project Teams.
Qualifications and skills
- University degree in economics, law, social sciences, or equivalent.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Certification as public policy professional or other topic relevant to the assignment is an asset.
General professional experience
- At least 10 years of general professional experience.
- At least 8 years of professional experience working in/ in support to the public sector (as employee/consultant/service provider).
Specific professional experience
- At least 5 years of experience in the area of policy making and strategic planning at national/sub-national/local level, including the formulation of policies, strategies and plans.
- At least 3 years of experience in the assessment, design/review and improvement/update of systems, procedures and structures for policy making, planning and budgeting at national/sub-national/local level.
- Experience in curricula development as well as in the design and delivery of training, coaching and other capacity building actions, in at least one assignment.
- Experience in design/organization/delivery of consultations/public events and/or other actions to foster participatory public engagement is an asset.
- Work experience in waste management or in environmental domain is an asset.
Note that only professional experience after obtaining the University degree will be considered.