The overall purpose of this project is to contract one qualified professional for the position of Expert in HWM. The Expert will be part of the management team for the project ‘Capital Cities Collaborating on Common Challenges in Hazardous Waste Management – Yerevan, Warsaw, Tirana’ (hereinafter: the Project) and will contribute to its sound management and implementation, in accordance with the grant contract and its annexes, notably the Description of the Action.
The Expert on Hazardous Waste Management will support Municipal and Hazardous waste management (MWM/HWM) policy making and planning process at the level of the 3 partner cities - Yerevan, Warsaw and Tirana - offering positive inputs also to other Local Authorities, and provide his/her specialized expertise and assistance to the introduction of improved technical, organizational, and ‘smart’ solutions for an effective HWM at municipal level. In particular, he / she will:
- assist the 3 Partner Cities, as well as other identified Local Authorities in improving their institutional, financial and administrative capacity in the field of Municipal Waste Management and, notably, of Hazardous Waste Management;
- provide expert advice on the quality of existing HWM / MWM plans in the 3 Partner Cities, and contribute to their promotion and implementation;
- give expert advice to re-organization / improvement of the internal structures responsible for HWM handling in the 3 Partner Cities;
- facilitate and promote innovation, R&D and smart solutions on HWM, inter alia by contributing to the organization of 4 HWM Techno-summits, contests and other public events;
- coordinate, and contribute to, the preparation of (pre-)feasibility studies, develop PPP solutions for HWM-related investments and outline technical contents for tenders and other project-related documents.
In performing his/her tasks the Specialist will respond to the Action’s Team Leader. He/she will operate in collaboration with other Team Members, as the activities require.
Qualifications and skills
- University degree in engineering, environmental science/management, chemistry, biology, other natural sciences or equivalent.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Proficient computer skills.
- Certification in environmental management, public services management or other relevant topics is an asset.
General professional experience
- At least 10 years of general professional experience.
- At least 8 years of experience in the environmental field or public services management.
Specific professional experience
- At least 5 years of experience in waste management.
- At least 2 years of experience in capacity building / training /coaching of public bodies, agencies or institutions responsible for waste management or other environmental fields.
- At least 2 years of experience in preparation of tender documentation and/ or pre-feasibility/feasibility studies and/or technical documentation for investments in the field of waste management.
- Experience in the preparation of policy documents / plans / masterplans on waste management is an asset.
- Expertise in hazardous waste / special waste management gained in at least 1 assignment (as employee or consultant) is an asset.
Note that only professional experience after obtaining the University degree will be considered.