The overall purpose of this project is to contract one qualified professional for the position of Specialist in Local Governance and Outreach. The Expert will be part of the management team for the project ‘Capital Cities Collaborating on Common Challenges in Hazardous Waste Management – Yerevan, Warsaw, Tirana’ (hereinafter: the Project) and will contribute to its sound management and implementation, in accordance with the grant contract and its annexes, notably the Description of the Action.
The Specialist in Local Governance and Outreach will provide specialist thematic knowledge and skills in ‘good’ local governance development and promote community involvement in MWM/HWM. He/she will advise on the introduction of practices in support to inclusive public engagement, promoting a higher level of participation and ownership in MWM/HWM policymaking. In particular, working under the direction of the core team he/she will contribute to the following activities:
- Reviewing and updating the MWM/HWM municipal plans in a highly participatory way;
- Reorganizing MWM/HWM institutional framework and sectoral planning at municipal level, advising on issues concerning local governance and outreach;
- Conducting ex-ante and ex-post local governance assessments to identify potential gaps and constraints in local policy implementation;
- Preparing and delivering capacity building actions to disseminate knowledge and skills on ‘good’ local governance, community outreach and inclusive public engagement;
- Designing, delivering and, if required, facilitating, public campaigns / events to inform, consult and involve citizens in MWM / HWM policymaking and service access.
In performing his/her tasks the Specialist will respond to the Action’s Team Leader. He/she will operate in collaboration with other Team Members as the activities require and, notably, with the Expert on Local Governance and Policymaking, the Expert in Awareness in HWM and in cooperation with the relevant experts in Warsaw’s and Tirana’s project Teams.
Qualifications and skills
- University degree in economics, law, social sciences, or equivalent.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Certificate in communication or as professional facilitator is an asset.
General professional experience
- At least 3 years of general professional experience.
Specific professional experience
- At least 2 years of professional experience working in/in support to the public sector (as employee/consultant/service provider).
- At least 1 year of experience in design/organization/delivery of public information / communication campaigns and/or consultations/public events and/or other actions to foster participatory public engagement.
- Experience in design and delivery of training, coaching and other capacity building activities in at least 1 assignment.
- Experience in public policies analysis / design / monitoring is an asset.
- Work experience in at least 1 project financed by EU or other international donors is an asset.
Note that only professional experience after obtaining the University degree will be considered.