The overall purpose of this project is to contract one qualified professional for the position of Specialist in MWM. The Expert will be part of the management team for the project ‘Capital Cities Collaborating on Common Challenges in Hazardous Waste Management – Yerevan, Warsaw, Tirana’ (hereinafter: the Project) and will contribute to its sound management and implementation, in accordance with the grant contract and its annexes, notably the Description of the Action.
The Specialist in Municipal Waste Management will support Municipal and Hazardous Waste Management (MWM/HWM) policy making and planning framework and processes, giving useful inputs also to other Local Authorities. With his/her technical expertise and assistance, he/she will advise on the introduction of improved technical, organizational, and ‘smart’ solutions for an effective HWM at municipal level. In particular, working under the supervision of the core team’s Expert on HWM, he/she will contribute to the following activities:
- assist the Partner Cities, as well as other identified Local Authorities in improving their institutional, financial and administrative capacity in the field of Municipal Waste Management and Hazardous Waste Management, by means of coaching, training and other knowledge-transfer activities;
- assess the quality of existing HWM / MWM legal framework, systems and plans and provide expert advice for their improvement / re-organization;
- facilitate and promote innovation, R&D and smart solutions on HWM, inter alia by contributing to the organization of HWM Techno-summits, contests, and other public events;
- prepare (pre-)feasibility studies and other technical documents; develop PPP solutions for MWM- and HWM-related investments and outline technical contents for tenders, sub-granting calls and other project-related documents.
In performing his/her tasks the Specialist will respond to the Action’s Team Leader. He/she will operate in collaboration with other Team Members as the activities require and, notably, with Yerevan Core Team Expert on HWM and with the relevant experts in Warsaw’s and Tirana’s project Teams.
Qualifications and skills
- University degree in engineering, environmental science/management, chemistry, biology, other natural sciences or equivalent.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Proficient computer skills.
- Certification in environmental management, public services management or other relevant topics is an asset.
General professional experience
- At least 3 years of general professional experience.
Specific professional experience
- At least 2 years of experience in the environmental field and/or public services management.
- At least 1 year of experience in waste management.
- At least 1 year of experience in preparation of policy documents / plans / masterplans in the field of waste management and/or tender documentation and/ or pre-feasibility/feasibility studies and/or technical documentation for investments in the field of waste management.
- Specific expertise in hazardous waste / special waste management gained in at least 1 assignment (as employee or consultant) is an asset.
- Work experience in at least 1 project financed by EU or other international donors is an asset.
Note that only professional experience after obtaining the University degree will be considered.